CYD PROGRAM OVERVIEW: The Galveston 77550 community is one of fifteen zip codes identified as having one of the highest juvenile crime rates in the state of Texas. In an effort to develop positive assets in youth and strengthen the community, the legislature has earmarked specific funds to serve youth and their families who live and/or attend school in the 77550 Zip code in order to prevent the incidence of juvenile crime.
OBJECTIVE: To develop a comprehensive youth leadership component to the current CYD program that actively involves youth who live and/or attend school in the 77550 Zip code in the planning, implementation and evaluation of this service.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work in partnership with the various members who make up the CYD program including: Program Director, Fiscal Agent, Collaborative Committee, GREAT Committee, local service providers and DFPS.
- Serve as a consistent mentor/sponsor and positive role model for the GREAT committee.
- Provide physical coordination and transportation, as needed, for GREAT meetings.
- Attend all GREAT meetings and support the development and ongoing maintenance of this committee.
- Maintain and distribute minutes of GREAT committee meetings.
- Work with youth to publicize CYD programs and do ongoing recruitment for the GREAT committee throughout the 77550 community.
- Work with youth to identify community service needs and gaps in services from the youth perspective.
- Work with youth to identify youth leadership opportunities for youth to participate in and contribute to.
- Network and collaborate with other agencies, services and programs that serve youth.
- Refer youth to other services, agencies, linkages to assist with their needs when appropriate.
- Work with youth towards staying in school and obtaining information and resources needed for higher education, vocational training or job placement.
- Work with parents of youth in the 77550 Zip code to discuss needs and gaps in services.
- Obtain data necessary for CYD contract requirements.
- Attend all CYD staff meetings.
- Attend training sessions on youth development, leadership etc.
- Prefer a bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, counseling, human development, child and adolescent development or youth development or a minimum of two years of direct service with youth who are considered “at risk”.
- Ability to coordinate meetings, events and youth leadership activities and consistently meet contractual expectations.
- Ability to work with individuals and youth from a variety of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Good written and oral skills and some computer skills.
- Belief in youth’s strengths and inherent abilities to be a part of the solution in their own community.
- Advocate for youth to be seen and utilized as resources and not merely service recipients.
- Knowledge about child and adolescent development.
- Some prior experience with marketing, media relations and/or community outreach.
The information presented indicates the general nature of work and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
EOE / m /f / disabled /vet
Rate / Range of Pay
$13.00 – $14.00 per hour