State Employee Charitable Campaign 2019 Local Application Instructions
Please review the following State Employee Charitable Campaign (SECC) instructions thoroughly before completing the SECC application.
The application deadline for a charitable organization in the Galveston SECC campaign area is Friday, March 22, 2019. All documentation must be received by noon CST on this date. Applicants who submit their application using must email the United Way of Galveston office to confirm receipt. Before submitting your application, please check to ensure that all required information is included and accurate. Not providing accurate and complete documentation may result in a denial.
Local Campaign Manager Contact Information:
United Way of Galveston
2200 Market Street
Galveston, TX 77550
Required Attachments for All Applicants
- Attachment A: Texas Certificate of Authority or Articles of Incorporation – Submit a letter indicating that applicant organization is organized for charitable purposes under the Texas Non-Profit Corporation Law, as covered by applicable sections of Texas Business Organizations Code, Chs. 1, 20, and 22, and Title I or the certificate of authority issued under that law. Tex. Gov’t Code Ann. Section 659.131(2)(A).
- Attachment B: 501c3 Letter – Submit a copy of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) determination letter indicating that applicant organization or affiliate is exempt from taxation under Section 501(a) of the United States Internal Revenue Code as an organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of that Code and to which contributions are deductible for income tax purposes under Section 170 of that Code. Tex. Gov’t Code Ann. Section 659.131(2)(B).
- Attachment C: IRS Form 990 – Submit a signed copy of the IRS Form 990 less than 18 months old. Since private foundations are not eligible for participation in the SECC, Tex. Gov’t Code Ann. Section 659.131(2)(E), the Form 990 PF is not acceptable. If the Form 990 EZ is filed, please fill out the pro forma pages of the standard Form 990 and attach them to the filed form. Tex. Gov’t Code Ann. Section 659.146(a)(2)(A). (See 34 TAC § 329.1). The IRS Form 990 and audit or accountant’s review must cover the same fiscal year. The IRS Form 990 must be no older than 18 months (dated June 30, 2016 or later).
- Attachment D: CPA Audit or Review – If applicant organization’s or affiliate’s annual budget does not exceed $250,000, attach an accountant’s review offering full and open disclosure of the organization’s internal operations, Tex. Gov’t Code Ann. Section 659.146(a)(2)(A), If applicant organization’s or affiliate’s annual budget exceeds $250,000, attach an independent audit of applicant organization completed by a certified public accountant in the immediately preceding year and conducted in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards (GAAS) of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Tex. Gov’t Code Ann. Section 659.146(a)(2)(B). The audit or accountant’s review must cover the same fiscal year as the IRS Form 990.
- Attachment E: Fiscal Agent letter – Click here to download a sample of Attachment E. Submit a letter from from your organization that states that United Way of Galveston serves as the affiliate’s representative and fiscal agent in the state employee charitable campaign. 34 Tex. Admin. Code Section 5.48(h)(2)(B) (Tex. Compt. of Public Accounts).
- Attachment L-1: Multiple Listing – Only Applicable to Charitable Organizations who will apply under more than one Federation. If a statewide charitable organization is applying under more than one federation in the statewide campaign, the organization must attach a document listing each federation under which it will apply. The organization must list the separate and distinct population(s) served under each federation. An organization failing to provide this attachment and establish that a separate and distinct population is served under
each federation will not be listed under more than one federation in any campaign materials. 34 Tex. Admin. Code, Section 5.48 (a)(2), (n)(2)(J)(iii)
For Local Federations Only: Additional Required Attachments
- Attachment F: Board of Directors Letter – Attach a letter from the presiding officer of applicant organization’s board of directors, certifying compliance by the federation or fund and its affiliated agencies with the governing statute. 34 Tex. Admin. Code Section 5.48(h)(2)(A) (Tex. Compt. of Public Accounts).
- Attachment G: Conflict of Interest Policy – Attach a copy of the conflict of interest policy approved by the federation or fund’s board of directors, which prohibits its board members, executive director, and staff from engaging in business transactions in which they have material conflicting interests. 34 Tex. Admin. Code Section 5.48(h)(2)(C) (Tex. Compt. of Public Accounts).
- Attachment H: Compensation Disclosure (if applicable) – If the executive director of the federation or fund receives material compensation for services rendered to any organization other than the federation or fund, a full disclosure of: (i) the name of the organization, (ii) the nature and amount of the compensation, and (iii) the relationship of the organization to the federation or fund. 34 Tex. Admin. Code Section 5.48(h)(2)(D) (Tex. Compt. of Public Accounts).
- Attachment I: Operating Budget – Attach a copy of the federation or fund’s current operating budget, signed by the presiding officer of the federation or fund’s board of directors. 34 Tex. Admin. Code Section 5.48(h)(2)(E) (Tex. Compt. of Public Accounts).
- Attachment J: Appeal Acknowledgement – Attach an acknowledgment that the federation or fund is responsible for filing any appeals from its affiliated agencies that have not secured approval for statewide or local participation in the state employee charitable campaign. 34 Tex. Admin. Code Section 5.48(h)(2)(F) (Tex. Compt. of Public Accounts).